Besides just eating certain fruits and veggies raw, using the techniques described below can help you make ‘crackers’, ‘cookies’, salads, and other delectable dishes.
I simply lifted this information directly from the Happy Cow link. I think this says it best.
“Plants-based foods in their original, un-heated (uncooked) state are considered raw and alive. Raw food may include fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, sprouts, grains and legumes in sprouted form, seaweed, microalgae (such as spirulina and chlorella, etc.), and fresh juices. These live foods (living foods) contain a wide range of vital life force nutrients (ie. vitamins, minerals, amino acids, oxygen) and live enzymes. Their nutritional properties are essential to the proper maintenance of human bodily functions..."
“…The benefits of going raw-vegan are boundless. Raw foods are easy to digest, and they provide the maximum amount of energy with minimal bodily effort. Studies have shown that living foods have healing powers that can alleviate many illnesses such as low energy, allergies, digestive disorders, weak immune system, high cholesterol, candida, obesity and weight problems (weight normalization), etc.. Research and real life experiences have also shown that a person can prevent the body's healthy cells from turning into malignant cancerous cells by consuming mostly a raw food diet that includes whole organic foods!”
Here is a list of youtube links for whole food cookies, breads, crackers, etc. "cooked" in the dehydrator. You might consider some of these as healthy, alternative snacks.
- sunflower pumpkin seed crackers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6dzvbS51ow
- apple/flax seed sandwich bread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC0q6AkoCUw&feature=related
- raw sprouted bread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EplopUyQPdA&NR=1
- burger patties / dehydrated crackers / commercial dehydrator.... sheesh! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGB6vG6VYoA&NR=1
- kale chips - watch for the oil... won't keep for long-term storage, but great for a few weeks... IF... you don't eat them all at once! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBZ7q2bgRJM&feature=related
- raw flax crackers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKOrH7hXTXo
- raw onion bread http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVyHLBYEvBE&feature=related
- raw almond coconut cookies http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPLMGtz6tVo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6dzvbS51ow
- Soak, sprout, and dehydrate your seeds for quick use and enhanced nutrition...dehydrated sprouted seeds can last 3 to 4 months http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSCv-39TWvE&feature=related