Here is eleven pounds of extra-lean ground beef.
In addition to saving space in your freezer, dehydrating your meat can be a major money-saver. Over several months I purchased one or two packages at a time, as I found it marked down to about half price. Eleven pounds of ground beef dehydrated down to two quart freezer bags!
- Dry fry it crumbled in the pan... no oil. Oil will eventually go rancid, so you want to get as much out as you can.
- Then I turn on the tap with the ...hottest water I can get. I rinse the meat to get the last little bits of fat off.
- Let it drain, or use your salad spinner to get rid of excess moisture.
- Place the crumbled meat in your dehydrator on fruit leather trays or waxed paper.
- Set the temp high and let it dry.
- It should rattle around like gravel and it's done.
I like to buzz a little in my food processor until it's a powder then use it in home made cup-o-soup. It makes an ideal beef bullion for those who can't handle the chemicals in some commercially prepared bullions.