Linda’s Note: look for the video on peeling tomatoes
- First you get a big pot of water boiling.
- You need a rolling boil.
- Set your kitchen timer for three or four minutes. Higher altitudes take longer.
- Drop a few whole tomatoes in it. Don’t put so many that it stops the boil.
- Turn the timer on and wait.
- When the time is up check a tomato
- It should have a split in the skin
- Plunge them into cold water to stop the cooking. i use a deep pitcher with cold water. be sure to push them all the way down so the floating ones on top get covered with cold water for a minute or so.
- Place on your drain board until ready to use.
- Take your paring knife and cut the stem off the tomato
- If you pinch the skin, it should slide right off
- Set the peelings aside for drying separately (after drhying, these will be powdered for use in seasonings, soups, etc.
Now your tomatoes are ready to slice and dry.