Friday, August 31, 2012

Onion Rings


 

 
Four Onions in Need Of Processing

I had a batch of onions about to go bad, so I decided to try something a bit different.

 
Thick Sliced
Instead of thin slicing them for cooking onions, I thick-sliced them.  I separated them and put them on the dehydrator racks. Always be sure to allow for plenty of ventilation when they are drying. Pieces should not be touching.  I only dehydrated the big, perfect pieces and took the broken parts and smaller pieces to refrigerate for cooking fresh.
 
Four Days Later

Because they were thick sliced, it took longer to dry than usual. Usually, overnight or maybe a day and a half at 115 degrees is sufficient.


Not Quite Ready

 
When I emptied my racks, I found that the extra-large pieces were not quite dry. these were sorted and placed on another rack to finish drying
 
 
To Use: 
Cover the onions in cold water for 30 minutes or an hour. Depending on how thick and how dry they are, it might take longer. Drain and pat dry with a paper towel. Use your favorite breadding and deep fry them.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment