Hominy is one of my favorite foods.
I could eat it seven days a week! But it has way too many carbs for this diabetic gal. Consequently, instead of eating the entire can (as I would like) I end up with leftovers that get shoved to the back of the fridge. Sometimes they take on a life of their own before I find them again. L
I wondered if I could satisfactorily dehydrate them. That way I could rehydrate just enough for one serving. Mike doesn’t care about them all that much. Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever seen him eat any… but then again, maybe it’s because I look as if I’ll rip his hand off if he dares touch MY hominy!
Drained and racked
Drain your hominy in the salad spinner to get rid of all that extra moisture.
I dried this on around 115°. It took a day and a half to dry.
The entire can of hominy reduced to ½ cup.
What to do with dehydrated hominy:
- ¼ cup of dehydrated hominy makes a good single portion
- Cover it with boiling water and let it sit for 30 minutes
- Cover it with cold water and let it sit in the fridge for several hours
- Heat it in its soaking water and serve
- Drain the water and sizzle in melted butter
- Add it to instant cup-o-soup
- Add it to stews or soups