Monday, August 27, 2012

Dehydrating Cauliflower



Green Cauliflower 

When we got our Bountiful Basket order, there was an extra head of cauliflower. I didn’t want it to go to waste, so I decided to give it a dry.





Instead of the mandolin slicer, I simply used my knife to cut it into nice strips. With this particular batch, I didn’t bother to blanch.  Just put it in raw. 


It’s amazing how much it shrivels when it dries!
 

 

On my bottom rack, I put a mesh tray to catch the small pieces that fall through the rack.  Assume this will happen with most veggies. Use either a fruit leather tray, a mesh tray, or even wax paper.



Linda’s note on waxed paper:

  • If you have a thermostat on your dehydrator and your keep your temp low, it will not melt.  Most fruits and veggies are done at 110 to 115 degrees. I have not had a problem with wax paper melting at these temps.






No comments:

Post a Comment