Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Dehydrating Cooked Rice

For those of you who have questions about how to dehydrate rice, here is a bit more information.

Cooked Rice

 Whenever you cook rice, go ahead and cook as large a pot of rice as you can.  It takes no more energy to cook a small pot of rice than a large pot of rice.  Generally, I cook mine in a six-quart pot.



After eating what you want, dehydrate the rest.  Simply spread it out on your fruit leather trays. Break up the clumps as best you can, but don’t worry too much about it.

I dehydrate my rice at 115º overnight.  When it’s dry it will be hard and crisp.


 

If you have any dried rice clumps, simply crush them in your fingers before bagging.



Linda’s Note: rice dries hard with sharp edges.  If you vacuum pack it, later you may find small pinhole puncture holes in the bags. You might want to double-bag it.

Uses for dehydrated cooked rice:

  • Instant cup ‘o soup
  • Thermos bottle soups
  • Casseroles
  • Soups and stews
  • Perfect for travel food, backpacking food, home-made MRE’s


2 comments:

  1. Hi Linda! Your dehydrator is exactly like mine! I have dried some apples lately and so glad I found your site! There are only three in my family, so I don't always use all food before it ruins. I do utilize my freezer a lot, but what about power outages? Now, I can dehydrate foods I never thought about before! No more waste! Thanks for sharing! Blessings from Bama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a pleasure to hear from you! There is just my husband and me.

      I started seriously dehydrating after I was widowed, living on a fixed income, and not able to make ends meet. I would buy marked down veggies and dehydrate what I couldn't eat right away.

      My new hubby thought I was a bit wierd, but now he's on the bandwagon and shops for things to dehydrate!

      power outages... Had a big problem with that when I lived outside of Opelika. The food in your freezer will begin to spoil if you're without power for about three days.

      Did you know that you can dehydrate frozen food? That will keep them shelf stable, reduce the amount of space needed to store them. and significantly reduce the risk of loosing hundreds of dollars worth of food.

      I have a few tips on dehydrating frozen foods. Ask if you have any questions.

      Delete