Sunday, August 19, 2012

Storage Tip Canned Foods


Stock Up Now!
One of the things we always need to keep in mind is stocking up on groceries.  There was a time when grocery stores stocked anywhere from two weeks to a month of more everything they sold. Those times are gone.  Today  (from their point of view) it’s far more economical to have a delivery truck once a week. They order only what they think they can sell in that week’s time, and put most of it out on the shelves.

The problem with this practice is that in the event of an emergency, the stores quickly run out of essentials.  In the event of a hurricane or some impending disaster, people rush to the stores to stock up. 
  • Within a matter of an hour or so, the shelves are literally stripped bare. 
  • Usually, bottled water, canned meats, batteries, flashlights, and such are the first things to go.
If you don’t keep your own cabinets well-stocked,
you and your family might have to do without vitally important supplies.

When I buy groceries, I always use a marker and put the date on the top of each can.  I use the FIFO system of storage.  (First In First Out). this way there is no question as to which cans need to be used first.  Simply storing them on a shelf can get confusing, especially if you need to shift things around a bit to find what you want.  I store my canned foods in the house in tub modules. They are stackable drawers which are durable and sturdy.

Over time, I try to dehydrate as many of these items as I can. 

  • Whenever you have room in your dehydrator, go ahead and top it off with a few racks of canned foods.  It cots the same to run a half empty machine or a full one.

Linda’s note: I don’t dehydrate peanut butter, mayo, and such.  These items will simply be used as is.  But you can bet, if I find a good price on something we eat, I buy every bit of it I can manage.


2 comments:

  1. I drove refer trucks before I retired. I did some retail stores but mainly I delivered to the store's warehouse's. That's the reason I began to keep a stock of food in my pantry. The average supermarket carries a 3 (THREE) day stock on hand. Us drivers used to joke that the supermarket's (any one of them) warehouse was in the back of our trucks speeding on it's way to be delivered. It doesn't take a Katrina or a Rita or a Sandy to cause a three day disruption in the system.
    It doesn't take the SHTF to cause someone grief. What if just the fan stops, along with the water pump, refrigerator, furnace, etc. etc.
    Our ancestors kept a stock of supplies on hand because they knew that if they didn't take care of themselves no one else would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pierre,
      Well Spoken! Thanks for the comment. It's an excellent it of information to know. It is foolish not to be prepared for emergencies.

      Have you seen my post on preparedness?

      http://dehydratingwaybeyondjerky.blogspot.com/p/preparedness.html

      Do keep posting, I appreciate your input.

      Delete