Saturday, April 14, 2012

Homemade Seasoned Rice Mix Low Sodium

Source: Source: Pillsbury Classic Cookbooks; Money $aving Meals, #131, Jan. 1992; reviewed July 2007

This economical, convenient mix allows you the flexibility to make it for poultry or beef-flavored dishes.
  • 3 cups uncooked regular rice
  • 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes
  • 6 tsps. instant chicken or beef-flavor bouillon
  • 2 tsps. onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp. dried thyme leaves
In storage container with tight-fitting lid, combine all ingredients; mix well. Seal tightly. Store in cool, dry place for up to 6 months. Stir well before each use.

Yield: 3 cups.

Nutritional Information
1/2 cup = 150 mg. of sodium.

2 comments:

  1. Why would this have a shelf life of 6 months??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure. I just copied what the recipe said. It could have something to do with the bullion (not really sure what's in it) but i've kept bottles of bullion for several years with no apparent damage.

      OK,in retrospect I know one reason. Ground herbs and spices rarely keep over a year. They don't spoil, but they will loose flavor. I was told by a chef friend that you simply need to increase the amount of dried herb or spice in the recipe.

      That is why, when I dry herbs and spices, I try to keep them whole until I'm ready to use them. I grind as needed.

      Do a search on grinding herbs to see the post on this.

      Delete